Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Do you see this sweet girl


she is the reason I want to sew... I want to make her dollie dresses and yummy outfits and pj's. I want to make her quilts and aprons and everything!

I bought a new machine - and never used it. After meeting my friend Steph - I dusted it off and thought I'd give it a go. I asked the sewing mamas (sewingmamas.com) for help and guidance and tried making simplicity 5118. Everyone said it was simple - for me - not so much. But I muddled thru it and finished it up - only to find it was too small for my princess to wear. I was heartbroken.

I was frustrated but did try to make a three tiered skirt for Canada Day... it turned out "ok" - my gathering was wonky at best but she wore it ... so in my mind - success!

But now I'm stumped - I want to make more - I have lots of fabric... but I'm scared! I want to find flannel monkey fabric and make pj's.... I want to buy a charm pack and follow Devida's tutorial... (a cool sewing mama) http://www.bubbachic.typepad.com/

What do you do when you lose your mojo? How do I get back on the horse??? Help?! (and do you know where some yummy flannel monkey fabric might be?!)

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey! when I want to get my mojo back I make something small... makeup pouches are great for that... and there are tons of tutorials on craftster for that.

SewPaula said...

I'd go for something quick and easy, that doesn't require fitting. Then I'd invest in a KwikSew pattern or book -- they are awesome for learning to sew.

Finally, don't get down on yourself -- we all have wadders. I've been sewing for several years, but still wadded up a gored skirt that I'd almost finished -- it just didn't look right and I was aggravated with it. My next project was one that I've sewn several times (a ks pattern I love) and that got me going again.

Hang in there and here a few positive sewing vibes for you!

Maia's World said...

Make a quilt.

You don't need a charm pack just pick from the wovens you have on hand. You can even use the tut as inspiration.

I started with basic quilting, and I still have a strong prefrence for it. Simple blocks, straight lines where the colors and prints do the talking not the shapes of the blocks. The tut would fall in that catagory.

I quilted and made simple bags for years before a dear SM (pre SM) friend took me by the hand and encouraged me to sew clothing. I started with a hat... a fleece hat. It was totally forgiving and easy and I really should thank her for her encouragement.

Even after 20 years of sewing I still blow it occassionally and toss something in the trash or if it is good enough but not good enough for me to have to see again it will go to the local thrift store.

You can do it!

Vanessa said...

I think you should just have a go at that quilt. It's a really simple pattern, and it wouldn't be hard to do.

I think we all have projects that have ended up in the trash. I try to remember that the cost of the fabric was worth the lesson that I learned.

T said...

I'm not much help on the sewing mojo, I tend to fall in to slumps myself and it's the next order or project due that force me out. Th efabric though may be something I can help w/ :) any specific monkey flannel you're looking for? I've seen several lately that are cute, i just keep putting off getting any. I may be able to pull up some links of what is around here locally if you want, just PM me on SM (blackhillsmommy)
Toni

stephmm said...

We should do a quilt together. Something without a size and definately without sleeves! It is just squares. Between the two of us we must have enough fabric to make some dolly quilts for the girls. Let me know if you want to team up.

Madaline Jane said...

Everyone has flops. I once made a tee for me that was way too small. DH and I joked it was for my dd. Mostly I think you must keep trying. GL. Don't give up you'll get it!